Cleveland Small Tree Trimming | A DIY Guide

cleveland oh tree trimming and pruning company

Cleveland Small tree trimming advice from a professional. Most homeowners are comfortable with basic tree care like mulching, watering, and fertilizing. However, when it comes time to trim trees on your own you may not know where to start.

For large trees, VanCuren strongly advises using a professional Cleveland tree trimming service. For small trees there are best practices to follow when trimming on your own. So, how small is a “small tree”? A small tree has lightweight, skinnier branches and a canopy that is at eye-level. On the other hand, a tree that is larger with heavy branches and will require the use of a ladder to reach the branches is too big for DIY tree trimming methods. Do not attempt to trim a tree, regardless of size, that is sitting near your house or a power line. Leave large or conveniently situated trees like these to the professionals for the safety of you and your home.

How to Trim a Small Cleveland, OH Tree

Follow these fundamental guidelines when planning to trim your tree yourself.

  • Take a few steps back and look at the balance and overall shape or composition of the tree. This will help you plan out the branches that you will cut and leave the branches to keep.
  • Visualize your tree as a clock and its branches as the hands. Keep any branches that are growing at the 2 o’clock and 10 o’clock angles relative to the trunk and look to trim branches that protrude at odd angles or that dip too low to the ground.
    • Also, make sure to remove branches that have grown across the centerline of the tree. For example, a branch is attached to the tree on the right side and has grown in the opposite direction and is bent across the tree to sit on the left.
  • Declutter by trimming away any overgrowth, dead branches or twigs, and weeds around the trunk or roots.
  • Cut off the branches you planned to trim. We recommend only removing 25% of the tree’s canopy. The other 75% is necessary for the tree’s growth.

best cleveland ohio tree trimming company

If you are unsure or have any questions about how to DIY trim a tree on your Cleveland property, you can call any of our trained arborists at VanCuren. First and foremost, we at VanCuren want you to stay safe. Remember that these guidelines for DIY trimming apply only to small trees! You should never attempt to trim a big or tall Cleveland, OH tree by yourself.

Free Estimate
Our technicians are always happy to evaluate any residential, commercial, or utility tree care need in Northeast Ohio at absolutely no cost.

What People Are Saying

  • VanCuren Services has been our “go-to” clearing contractor since 2009, tackling both residential and commercial projects across Northeast Ohio.  Most notable project include ODOT Innerbelt Bridge, Cleveland Medical Mart and the NEORSD Superior Stones project.  Dave and his crews are experienced professionals and perform each project with safety as a top priority. I can recommend them with confidence.

    - Vic DiGeronimo, Jr.( Independence Excavating, Inc. Commercial Tree Removal (May 2017) )
  • The precision in which VanCuren took down the dead trees around our home was amazing! The only way we knew VanCuren was there is that the dead trees were gone!

    - Meghan( Gates Mills, Ohio Tree Removal May 2017 )
  • The attention to detail in clearing our property in preparation of building our new home was impeccable!

    - Matt( Gates Mills, Ohio Land Clearing May 2017 )
  • I had a lot of tree trimming done and removals and I barely noticed the crew was at our house. They did their work quickly without interfering and cleaned up very nicely.

    - Lurlie( Independence, Ohio Tree Trimming and removal May 2017 )
  • VanCuren came to my house after I left for work and when I came home, all of tree removals and trimming were completed and the yard perfectly cleaned up. Very professional company.

    - Paul( Bainbridge, Ohio Tree Removal April 2017 )